The Angelina and Nacogdoches Counties Water Control and Improvement District Number One was created in 1954, as a political subdivision of the State of Texas.
In 1956, the District began construction of Lake Striker and the reservoir was completed in 1957. Lake Striker is a 2400-acre reservoir located about 18 miles southwest of Henderson, Texas. The lake's normal pool elevation is 293 feet above mean sea level. The lake's capacity is 26,960 acre-feet of water. Each acre-foot contains 325,851 gallons of water.
The District sells water to a Luminant Energy power plant on the western shoreline of the reservoir. Water is also sold to Austin Energy’s biomass fired power plant about ten miles southeast of the lake near Sacul. The City of Henderson also has an option on water from the lake for future usage.
The lake is also used for recreational purposes. The District leases waterfront and off-water lots which are located in the Lake Striker Shoreline Subdivision.
The District also has about 2000 acres of timberland around the lake that is professionally managed by Farmer's National Company which was formerly James Houser Consulting Foresters.